How do I download and install DataVault for Windows?
Download DataVault for Windows from the links below. Save the file to disk and double-click to begin installation.
What's new in the latest version?
To find out what's new in the latest version go to the What's New page.
How do I upgrade to version 6?
To upgrade to version 6, make a backup of your data, then install the new version. Your data should be ready to use. Version 6 of DataVault for Windows is a free upgrade for version 5 users. Customers who bought version 4 or below, prior to June 2014, must purchase version 6 to upgrade.
In the last 10 years, there has been only one paid upgrade of DataVault for Windows which is far below the industry average. We appreciate your support and will continue to invest in making DataVault the best password manager for Windows.
My order confirmation includes a License Code but no Registration Key. What should I do?
The License Code in the order confirmation is the same thing as the Registration Key. When prompted by DataVault for Windows, cut and paste the License Code from your order confirmation into the DataVault for Windows Registration Window.
When I click on the download link in my order confirmation a message appears saying I exceeded the maximum number of downloads allowed. What should I do?
The latest version of DataVault for Windows is always available for download on our website. Click on the link above to download DataVault for Windows.
I have a question about my purchase of DataVault for Windows. What should I do?
Ascendo uses MyCommerce to process orders and deliver license information. If you want to lookup an order, check the status of an order or have your order confirmation resent by email, please go to MyCommerce Shopper Support.
Where can I download the DataVault toolbar for Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox?
Support for the DataVault toolbar is built into DataVault for Windows. If you have just started using a new browser, you will need to re-install DataVault for Windows to enable the toolbar.
I am having problems using the DataVault toolbar with Firefox. What should I do?
Start Firefox, click on the menu button > Add-Ons > Plugins and select Always Activate from the drop-down list next to Ascendo DataVault. If the Ascendo DataVault plugin is not in the list or is not the same version as DataVault for Windows, close all browsers and re-install DataVault for Windows.
What are the plans for Safari support?
Support for Safari has been discontinued in DataVault for Windows v5+.
Which version of DataVault for Windows can I use to sync with my BlackBerry?
DataVault for BlackBerry can sync with DataVault for Windows version 4, see installation instructions above. We do not plan to release DataVault for BlackBerry version 5 at this time.
What are the requirements to run DataVault for Windows?
DataVault for Windows desktops requires Microsoft Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista and 2000 and 20Meg of free disk space.
How can I find out when new versions are released?
You can follow Ascendo on Twitter to receive real-time alerts when new version are released.
Can I install and run Ascendo DataVault from a USB drive?
Yes. When the DataVault installer prompts you to Choose an Install Location, click on the Browse button then select your USB drive. Once you have installed DataVault, select Move data file... from the File menu and select your USB drive.
If you start DataVault without connecting your USB drive, DataVault will prompt you to enter a new master password twice and attempt to create a new database on the local drive. To continue using the database on your USB drive, click on the Cancel button, then connect the USB drive and restart DataVault. If you create a new master password by accident, quit DataVault and click on the Ok buttons when Failed to create database... is displayed, then connect your USB drive and restart DataVault.
What other platforms is DataVault available for?
DataVault Password Manager is available on several mobile and desktop platforms. The complete list can be found on the Ascendo Apps Page.
If I purchase DataVault for Windows, can I use it on more than one PC?
One paid copy of DataVault for Windows can be used on up to 5 PCs. Usage is limited to the owner of the license. The email order confirmation contains registration information that can be used for all installations belonging to the owner of the license.
Other versions such as DataVault for Mac are sold separately.
Is there a trial period?
You can use DataVault for the duration of the trial period by selecting "Register Later" from the start screen menu. To continue using Ascendo DataVault after the trial period, you must purchase the product.
What payment options are available?
Orders for DataVault for Windows placed through our web site or initiated from the software at the end of the trial period are processed through RegNow which accepts most major credit cards and Paypal.
I can't remember my master password. What are my options?
Tap on Unmask to show your master password in clear text. If you set up a hint question during a previous session, tap on Hint and answer the question to retrieve your password. If neither suggestion works, you can reset the database by entering the wrong password repeatedly until you have exceeded the maximum login attempts. This will erase the database. When you restart DataVault you will be prompted to select a new master password.
I am having difficulties importing data from a third party application. What are my options?
DataVault supports importing files in native format from Cryptmagic, SplashID, Illium eWallet, Code Wallet, Flex Wallet, Handy Safe, Spb Wallet, Turbo Passwords, Minisafe, Password Plus, Roboform, Internet Explorer and Firefox. In addition, DataVault can import text files in Comma Separated Values (*.CSV) format. If the native format of a third party application is not supported, you may be be able to export to a CSV file, then use the DataVault Desktop field-mapping feature to import the data. For more information, see the section on Importing Items in the DataVault User Guide.
I am having problems importing a SplashID vID file. What could be the problem?
When you export data from the SplashID Desktop, you will be prompted to enter an optional password. You must leave this password blank in order to import the vID file into DataVault.
How can I import RoboForm items into DataVault?
To import from RoboForm, save your RoboForm items in an .HTM file using the "Print" menu and then import the file into DataVault using Tools > Import > RoboForm menu.
I want to export my data from RoboForm. However, I don't see the option to save data to an .htm file through the print option. How would I do that?
To export your data from RoboForm in an .HTM file, follow these steps.
I am unable to sync over Wi-Fi with DataVault on a mobile device. What could be the problem?
Synchronization over Wi-Fi may require modifying several system settings. In addition, security applications such as Firewalls, VPNs and virus protection packages may block communicate over Wi-Fi. If you continue to have problems after trying the troubleshooting tips below, we recommend that you consider cloud sync as described in the synchronization section of the DataVault for Windows user guide.
1) Synchronization requires recent versions of the products. If necessary, backup your data and install the latest versions of DataVault for Windows, DataVault for iOS or DataVault for BlackBerry.
2) Synchronization requires that the master password used with DataVault for Windows be the same as the master password used with DataVault on your mobile device. To verify your master password, unmask it while logging in. To change the master password, select File > Set Password from the DataVault for Windows menu bar.
3) Verify that you are following the correct sequence to synchronize as described below.
4) DataVault uses Apple's Bonjour discovery protocol to synchronize over Wi-Fi. Bonjour is installed with iTunes. If iTunes is not installed on your desktop, then you should install the latest version from the Bonjour support page.
5) Make sure both your handheld device and desktop computer have Wi-Fi turned on and that they are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, see instructions below.
6) Try setting the IP address for your desktop manually. To do this, start DataVault on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, tap on the option icon in the navigation bar, select Synchronize, then tap on the field labeled DataVault Desktop ip address.
To find the IP address of your Windows desktop, click on Start and type Run in the search field, then type ipconfig and click on the return key to display your IP address.
7) If you are running a Firewall on your Windows desktop (Start > Control Panel > Security > Windows Firewall), give DataVault permission to exchange information through the Firewall.
8) If you are using virtualization software such as VM Ware or Parallels, set the Network Adapter to Bridged Mode; then restart your computer. To do this with VMWare, select Virtual Machine > Settings > Network > Connect directly to the physical network (Bridged).
9) Check to see if other apps such as anti-virus software or VPNs are blocking Wi-Fi access & reconfigure if necessary.
10) Disable 3G on your iPhone by selecting Settings > General > Network then set Enable 3G to Off and sync again.
11) Reboot your handheld and desktop and try to synchronize again.
If you are still having problems, please contact technical support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I transfer data between DataVault for Mac and DataVault for Windows?
You can transfer data between DataVault desktops by importing & exporting in DataVault Exchange Format. Please note: If you are not using the latest versions of the desktops, Category & Type information may not transfer.
To transfer data from DataVault for Windows to DataVault for Mac, follow the steps below.
To transfer data from DataVault for Mac to DataVault for Windows, follow the steps below.
Can I sync DataVault for Windows with DataVault for Mac?
At this time, you cannot sync DataVault for Windows directly with DataVault for Mac. There are two options for keeping both versions of DataVault desktop in sync.
1. Use your handheld device as a conduit. First, sync the most up-to-date copy of DataVault desktop with DataVault running on an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or BlackBerry. Then sync DataVault running on your handheld device to DataVault running on the other desktop.
2. Export your DataVault database as a DataVault Exchange (DVX) file from the most recently updated desktop. Then import the DVX file into DataVault running on the other desktop. Please note: Importing DVX files will overwrite the DataVault data file (one way synchronization).
Once I've entered my information, how can I back it up and restore it if there is a problem?
Follow the steps listed below.
What should I do if I see the message "Passwords on (handheld device) and PC do not match!" even though I think I am using the same password?
Follow these steps to verify that your passwords match.
Please note that DataVault passwords are case sensitive.
How do I setup an ad-hoc network to synchronize DataVault for Windows with DataVault on my iPhone?
An ad-hoc network is a direct wireless connection between your desktop and handheld device that does not require a wireless router. Using an ad-hoc network to synchronize DataVault increases the security of the connection and means you don't need to have access to a Wi-Fi router to synchronize with DataVault on your iPhone.
Instructions for setting up an ad-hoc network on Windows Vista computers:
Information about setting up an ad-hoc network on Windows XP can be found here.
When synching with the desktop, a window appears, "Server Busy... Switch To... Retry". If I press Retry a few more times then DataVault syncs.
This is a well documented Windows issue that occurs in some circumstances when several application windows are open and one application is requesting user input. If you get this message, please check the task bar for an open dialogue window which is waiting for your input.
Why did Ascendo choose Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) over other encryption techniques?
On October 2, 2000, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) announced the selection of the Rijndael algorithm as the new Advanced Encryption Standard. The announcement concluded a 4-year effort working with government, industry and academia from throughout the world. There is a broad consensus that AES is the best encryption technique available at the current time. For more information, see the following links.
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) - Questions and Answers (NIST)
- Blowfish Cipher(AES), Wikipedia
- Why is AES considered to be secure? (Stackexchange)